AMURT/EL Wilayah Persekutuan & Selangor (Reg. No. 1556)
AMURT/EL Malaysia is the unofficial name of Persatuan Bantuan Kemanusiaan Universal Ananda Marga Wilayah Persekutuan & Selangor. Our organisation was registered in 2002 to conduct community service projects in Malaysia and to support AMURT’s disaster relief work and development projects around the world directly and indirectly.
It is Malaysia’s good fortune not to suffer incidents of colossal natural or man-made disasters. Thus AMURT’s activities in Malaysia have focused on educational projects empowering people for a Better World,
Ongoing and recent projects include :
- Children for a Better World Education projects
- Refugee Education Support projects
- Better World Body, Mind & Spirit projects
- Service-Tourism Family Holidays
We also support AMURT activities in other parts of the region through fundraising and other activities.
AMURT’s mission is to help improve the quality of life for the poor and disadvantaged people of the world, and those affected by calamity and conflict. We encourage and enable individuals and communities to harness their own resources for securing the basic necessities of life and for gaining greater economic, social and spiritual fulfillment, while honoring their customs, language, and religious beliefs.
AMURT (Ananda Marga Universal Relief Team) is one of the few private international voluntary organizations founded in India. Set up in 1965, its original objective was to help meet the needs of the affected population after disasters that regularly hit the Indian sub-continent.
AMURT Global (www.amurt.net)
Over the years AMURT has established teams in 34 countries to create a network that can meet disaster and development needs almost anywhere in the world. In 1985 we broadened our goals to include long-term development. We feel that we can play a useful role in helping vulnerable communities break the cycle of poverty and gain greater control over their lives. For us, development is human exchange: people sharing wisdom, knowledge and experience to build a better world.
AMURT’s sister organization, AMURTEL, is managed by women and initiates programs that raise the standard of health and education of women and their children. If women are given an opportunity for education, adequate health care, economic self- reliance, and involvement in their own progress, their all-round health and well-being will, in turn, be reflected in the improved welfare of their children and community. For a complete presentation of AMURTEL programs worldwide, see www.amurtel.org
- Every human being has the right to meet his or her own fundamental needs such as nourishment, accommodation, medical care, clothing and education. The resources of the earth should be used in a just and appropriate way to meet those needs.
- Every human being regardless of race, creed, gender, color or social status is a dignified member of the human family and should be treated with understanding and respect.
- It is only by showing respect for women, and ensuring their integration and active participation in the development process, that a harmonious growth of the family, community and society as a whole can be achieved. Development is a balanced process that maintains equilibrium between industry and the environment, urban and rural growth, human needs and available resources.
- Development should lessen the gap between the rich and poor and provide opportunities for all.
- Appropriate development begins within the social and cultural framework of each community. It enables underprivileged communities to gain a greater degree of independence to determine their own future
We seek local solutions. AMURT understands that there are no ready-made solutions to problems of poverty. Every situation is unique and requires its own local solution. Because AMURT field directors are already based in the areas they serve, they are better able to promote a solution that is suitable for each particular set of circumstances.